We provide comprehensive, unbiased rankings of the best online undergraduate and graduate Social Work degree programs across the United States. Find the best online Social Work degree programs and the top ranked Social Work programs for your career path.
Find the best online social work degree programs for your career objectives
The Best Online Social Work Degrees
Degrees and Certificates
Pursue Your Passion
Social workers are employed in a variety of environments
Why a Degree in Social Work
- A BSW is the most common requirement for entry-level administrative positions. However, some employers may hire workers who have a bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as psychology or sociology. . However, some employers may hire workers who have a bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as psychology or sociology.
- A BSW prepares students for direct-service positions such as caseworker or mental health assistant. These programs teach students about diverse populations, human behavior, social welfare policy, and ethics in social work. All programs require students to complete supervised fieldwork or an internship.
- Clinical positions require a MSW, which generally takes 2 years to complete. MSW programs prepare students for work in their chosen specialty by developing clinical assessment and management skills. All programs require students to complete a supervised practicum or an internship.
- A BSW is not required to enroll in a MSW program. Although a bachelor’s degree in almost any major is acceptable, courses in psychology, sociology, economics, and political science are recommended. Some programs allow graduates with a bachelor’s degree in social work to earn their master’s degree in 1 year
- All states require clinical social workers to be licensed, and most states require licensure or certification for nonclinical social workers. Becoming a licensed clinical social worker requires a MSW and a minimum of 2 years of supervised clinical experience after graduation. After completing their supervised experience, clinical social workers must pass a clinical exam to be licensed. Because licensing requirements vary by state, those interested should contact their state licensure board. For more information about regulatory licensure boards by state, visit the Association of Social Work Boards.
Need more information about the best online social work degree programs ?
Social Work Accreditation
Council on Social Work Accreditation
Council on Social Work Accreditation
As of the October 2020 COA meeting, there are
- 533 accredited baccalaureate social work programs
- 291 accredited master’s social work programs
- 15 baccalaureate social work programs in candidacy
- 22 master’s social work programs in candidacy
About CSWE Accreditation
Don't take the journey alone.....
There are currently over 4,000 degree-granting institutions from which to choose from to start your educational journey. You can find your pathway at any one of them, and we are here to help you with unbiased information while evaluating your college degree opportunity.
There is no stigma to where you earn your postsecondary education: just earn it!
From our blog
(CNN)Before Kamala Harris and Stacey Abrams broke barriers in the country’s political landscape, they thrived at historically Black colleges and universities. Students and alumni from HBCUs around the country are celebrating the vice president-elect’s success, hoping it will change the misconceptions around the institutions’ quality of education and graduates’ social mobility. Harris, a Howard University alumna, has…
The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) is the national association representing social work education in the United States. Its members include over 800 accredited baccalaureate and master’s degree social work programs, as well as individual social work educators, practitioners, and agencies dedicated to advancing quality social work education. CSWE’s Commission on Accreditation (COA) is responsible for developing…